Is Your Aging Loved One Isolated?
On the surface, your senior may appear relatively content and they may even brush off questions about their level of social interaction. However, they may still be plagued by feelings of loneliness. Your loved one may be isolated if any of the following are true:
- They live alone.
- They do not have any pets.
- They do not receive many visitors.
- They are home-bound and/or unable to transport themselves.
- They do not take an active interest in any particular hobbies or pastimes.
Ways to Prevent Loneliness and Isolation
Social disconnectedness causes seniors’ cognitive function to diminish rapidly, and it is important to find ways to help them remain socialized and keep them in touch with others around them. Here are a few ways to get your home-bound loved one to connect with other people:
- Play simple card games, board games, dominos, etc.
- Find ways to include them in family traditions like decorating the Christmas tree, carving the Thanksgiving turkey, birthday traditions, etc.
- Find ways to transport them by researching ride services in your area, sharing transportation responsibilities with siblings, etc.
- Encourage them to reach out to friends and family members.
- Help them continue to partake in religious services and other things that have historically been important to them.
In addition to finding creative ways to help your aging loved one connect with others, consider bringing in a private companion caregiver who can be a consistent source of positive social interaction, as well as a watchful friend and caretaker.
Offering Compassionate In-Home Care to Families Throughout the Kingston Surrey
Since Blue Arrow Care was started, our kind, attentive care has made a huge difference for thousands of individuals and families across the southwest London.
Whether we are providing medication assistance, attendant services, or anything in between, it is our mission to help aging adults stay at home for as long as possible while preserving their safety and overall well-being, including their mental health. We know that social interaction is especially critical for the healthy cognition and overall happiness of home-bound adults. That’s why our experienced companion caregivers are glad to provide help around the house, warm conversation, and a variety of other home care services.
Call +44 7706 315213 | +44 2085 463945 or contact us today to talk to a member of our team and learn how Blue Arrow Care can help keep your loved one happy, healthy, and as social as possible.